Statutory Functions of the Board
The major statutory functions of the Board (MRTB) are as follows:
- Determining what standards of knowledge and skill are to be attained by persons seeking to become registrants of the relevant professions.
- Raising the standards from time to time as circumstances may permit.
- Conducting examinations in the relevant profession and awarding Degree or Diploma certificates to successful candidates as appropriate and prescription of fees to be paid in respect thereof.
- Regulation and control of professional practice of Physiotherapy, Occupational Therapy, Speech Therapy and Audiology in Nigeria either hospital based or otherwise.
- Accreditation of academic and clinical programmes, for medical Rehabilitation training and practice in the country.
- Infiltrating discipline and decorum into the profession by enacting Medico-leagal attributes of the Board, MRTB, for the protection of Registrants.
- Elimination of quackery through proper registration of Medical Rehabilitation Therapy training and clinical premises and through surveillance and monitoring activities.
- Production and maintenance of up-to-date register for the Registrants under the Board (MRTB).
- Conducting Induction Programmes to admit fresh graduands into Medical Rehabilitation Professions.
- Organizing refresher courses in form of Continuing Professional Development (CPD) Programmes for the Manpower Development Strategies for Medical Rehabilitation professionals nationwide.
- Performing other functions conferred on the Board (MRTB) by the Act establishing it (Decree 38 of 1988/M9 LFN 2004).
The Board, MRTB, is determined to rigorously pursue this course with vigor and vitality to a logical conclusion.
Mrs. O.T. Akanle